Hannibal just really likes his murder suit
I’ve gotten a lot of questions about how individuals can help save the BBC3 television show In the Flesh, so I thought I would make a master list. I’ll keep this updated as I learn more and as events start and finish.
Step One: Watch the Show. Make others watch the show.
Here is a link to how to watch this show, if you haven’t. I believe the episodes are, in some form, up on YouTube as well (here is the first episode). These viewing methods do not create ratings for the show, but ensuring that more people have seen it ensures that more people become invested in the show, and subsequently in saving it. If you want to save the show, quickly getting as many people as possible invested in it through any means is crucial.
Though the episodes are not currently available on iPlayer (the BBC streaming program/site), you can check back at the pages (Series One | Series Two) to see if they have come back, and to give the pages hits. Watching through these methods would contribute to ratings, if they become available.
Step Two: Purchase/View legitimate copies of the show
There are plenty of reasons people want to watch the show before purchasing copies, but if you can possibly afford to do so, speak with your money. Buy legitimate copies, and encourage others to do so, even if it’s just the streaming copies. If you watched it and enjoyed it, support it the way that matters most to the people who get to decide if it keeps going- by buying copies.
- America - Amazon DVD and Instant Stream (same page | Region 1)- Only S1 is available for immediate DVD purchase. Series 2 is available for DVD purchase in October. Watch instantly option is available for both seasons. REMEMBER: If you purchase copies through Amazon, you are then able to leave a review. PLEASE DO SO.
- UK Amazon - DVD Series 1&2 | Bluray Series 1&2. REMEMBER: If you purchase copies through Amazon, you are then able to leave a review. PLEASE DO SO.
- iTunes instant download episodes. Series One. Series Two. You can also locate and download them from the iTunes program.
- BBC Store DVD/Bluray and Instant Download.
- If you are in America and use Time Warner Cable for television, you can view the episodes On-Demand. This does contribute to ratings/viewership.
Step Three: Participate in Fandom-Support Events
There are several events currently in effect meant to help give attention to ITF and show that there is a fan base ready to support it. Participating to the best of your ability in these events is one of the most direct ways of helping.
- Event 1: Monthly #SaveInTheFlesh Social Media Sundays- This is a recurring event happening on the last Sunday of every month at 10pm UK time. (original post).
- Event 2: Siren Big Bag - A long-fic (and art) producing challenge with signup period and production period. Writers and artists needed. (original post).
- Event 3: In the Flesh Mini Bang - A fic-and-art-producing challenge with signup period and production period. Writers, Artists, and beta-readers needed. (original post).
Step Four: Make use of social media
- Twitter: Use the hash tags #InTheFlesh and #SaveInTheFlesh in original tweets. Follow the cast and creators (Dominic Mitchell, Luke Newberry, Emmett Scanlan, Emily Bevan, Harriet Cains, Kev Sutton, Marie Critchley, Alice Troughton, Damon Thomas, Dale McCready) and while you’re there send them a thank you! Tweet @BBCThree (x) and @BBCAmerica (x) to tell them you love #InTheFlesh and desire to see a series 3 produced.
- Facebook: Like the BBC3, BBCAmerica, and In The Flesh Facebook pages. Leave messages on all three of them expressing your feelings/support for the show and that you would like to see a series 3 produced.
- Tumblr: Tag your In the Flesh posts with “SaveInTheFlesh” or “Save In The Flesh.” Make use of the new mention feature and include @BBCThree and @BBCAmerica in your posts (when you type them in, they should automatically turn into “mentions”/links and alert both BBC3 and BBCA that you are talking about them and their zombie show). Create fanworks (fic, art, meta, playlists, gifs/photosets, etc) and share them. Submit to ITF collections like Voices of the Redeemed and Sirenfics and In The Flesh Confessions. Follow the Saveintheflesh and Redeemed-from-the-earth blogs for #SaveInTheFlesh project announcements.
Step Five: Engage in free support methods
Sign the Petition to save BBC3. Pass on the post: (x)
Sign the Petition to give ITF a series 3.
Leave a review on the BBC store ITF DVD page (no purchase necessary!). Pass on the post: (x)
Rate In the Flesh a 10/10 on IMDB. Pass on the post (x)
View the available video clips on the BBC site.
Share the ULA and Victus information pages directly from the BBC site.
Use the BBC’s appreciation comment page to send show praise and a polite request for more ITF. This is literally its intended function, and comments are stripped of personal info before being sent to the higher ups that make all those decisions about what stuff gets produced and shown.
- Visit and comment on articles written about/featuring ITF or its fandom. Comment that you enjoy the show, you want more of it, and that you are happy they chose to feature it in the article. This encourages media sites to feature ITF, which helps spread the show. [ITF Interview Article Masterlist]
- Visit this interview with Dom Mitchell, creator of ITF, and leave a comment. Support further interviews (maybe for the cast?)
Add yourself/your location to the In the Flesh Fandom Map by contacting the Redeemed-from-the-earth tumblr with your location (you may remain anonymous).
Listen and contribute to the "Voices of the Redeemed" podcast.
Step Six: Download the Scripts
The scripts for both seasons are publicly available on the BBC website. Someone, somewhere, is watching the traffic for this page, and the number of downloads for the scripts. (Also they are a FANTASTIC read, with a lot of really cool information that you might not get just from watching (like that the treatment center was implanted into a retired slaughterhouse)).
If you have other methods or if you hear about other fandom events starting or happening, please don’t hesitate to let me know! I will happily update this post as things progress, so if you visit the original post you’ll get the most recent version of the master list.
Now, go forth and help save our show! We can do this!!
Fannibals, let’s give these guys a hand.
"She likes you."
Oh Bryan, you’re so smart